INTRODUCTION TO GREEK ART (except literature and music)
Here is an outline of greek art through the ages.
ANCIENT Greece: Drama-Music-Dance were an interwoven whole. Works of sculpture and architecture survive today, but painting is mostly lost.|
BYZANTINE painting and architecture is religious (iconography and churches) and the painting style 'a la greca', the style of icons, is quite different from the 'a la latina' of the west. Only el Greco swapped to the western style (he left Crete and worked in the West).
During the ottoman occupation there are no scholarly artistic developments. But the anonymous artists took over, creating an exquisite folk art which is still a strong vein of inspiration. MODERN art starts flourishing during the formation of the new greek state (1832). Greek painting was initially influenced by the german school of Munich, and later found its way towards a more greek style. Theatre is flourishing and the performance of ancient drama is a major task for theatre artists.
- general links
- General links for arts and museums
- ATHENS MUSEUMS
- Culture by Ambassade de Grèce (Embassy of Greece in France) in french: architecture, painting, cinema, music, theatre through the ages. The most important artists.
- www.artopos.org See artists by medium or alphabetically.
- The Muses @wikipedia
- by topic a...z
at the Acropolis Museum
- GREEK ARCHITECTURE
- Arhcitecture general links
- For urban, city planners see GREEK SCIENCE
- Architecture grecque in french with photos
Excellent. From antiquity till today. Mainly new times.
- ancient greek architecture
- The architecture of 'metre', human measure, interested in the EXTERIOR: all sensations and activities are taking place outdoors, outwards.
- Temples survive (with their characteristic columns), but also some houses and palaces of various periods and places. And theatres and stadiums.
- Archaeology links
- wikipedia: Architecture of ancient greece
- Greek Architecture by CrysTal Athens Acropolis The three orders: ionic doric and corinthian.
- Venice Charter for restorations @wikipedia
- ancient greek architects
- Phidias architect and sculptor
- ATHENS ACROPOLIS
- byzantine middle times architecture
- Mainly churches. See BYZANTINE PERIOD for exhibitions and links. The byzantine architects were interested in the INTERIOR, not the exterior. The different approach of the orthodox dogma to the catholic is prominent: the tholos encapsulates the cosmos in a round, vase-like sensation. No gothic heightening towards the heavens. Heaven is here.
- Byzantine architecture @wikipedia
- BYZANTINE TEMPLES
- Istanbul, Turkey links (for Constantinople byzantine sites)
- HAGIA SOFIA • HOLY WISDOM church by Anthemios and Isidoros (architects), during reign of Iustinianus I.
HAGIA SOPHIA, Istanbul, Turkey links
- Athens and Greece: byzantine sites
- Churches and Monasteries by the Patriarchate
osios Loukas church, 11th century
at Boaetia prefecture, Greece
- new times greek architecture
- The formation of the greek state started with the arrival of bavarian and danish kings and their entourage. Among them, there were prominent architects who used neoclassical style.
- 1833_1897 architecture @FHW
- Greek architects started to imitate, and later create their own style.
- 1897-1922 architecture @FHW
- In the meantime, a lovely folk architecture flourished, by groups of naïf builders who travelled around villages and towns. Its style is different in islands and mainland.
- Modern architects were attracted by folk architecture, byzantine heritage, and tried to create their own greek path in shaping space.
- Discovering contemporary architecture ATHENS www.culture2000.tee.gr prepared by Sotiris Papadopoulos and the team OMADA 80. Maps, routes, styles, architects and selected works.
- www.arcult.gr: Architectural tours in Athens architects and their work, photos.
- greek contemporary architects
- My favourites (except Phidias who is ancient): Demetris Pikionis, Ares Constantinides, Pericles Sakellarios.
- Demetris PIKIONIS (1887-1968) gre: Δημήτρης Πικιώνης [δi`mitris pi`cionis]
- about Dimitris Pikionis
- Ares CONSTANTINIDES (1913-1993): gre: .Aρης Kωνσταντινίδης [`aris konstandi`niδis]
(transliterations: Aris Konstantinidis, Constandinidis)
- THE absolute vacation house in greece. You shall be surprised to view it: The Anavyssos Vacation House by architect Aris Konstantinidis www.culture2000.tee.gr
- Also: in the same website:
- Weekend house at Elefsina, House of Xydis in Athens, Workers House Complex near Athens, Apartment building near Athens.
- Pericles SAKELLARIOS (1905-1985) gre: Περικλής Σακελλάριoς [peri`klis sace`larios]
- www.culture2000.tee.gr pages: Chapel near Athens, Astir Beach Resort near Athens, Country House of D. Levidis near Athens.
Unviersity of Athens by the dane
Hans Christian Hansen (1803-1873)
church at Amorgos
staircase at Therasia
- GREEK COINS
- Coins in art general links
- Athens Numismatic Museum (was the house of Heinrich Schliemann)
- ancient greek coins
- All ancient city-states (and they were many) had their own coins with their city's symbols. They are lovely. Copies can be bought at the gift shop of the National Archaeological MUSEUM.
- Greek coinage @wikipedia
- byzantine middle times coins
- Even today, the expression «flori constantinato» (=coin similar to the fiorin, by Constantine) survives: it means any gold, precious item, coin of byzantine times. Women wear such coins as jewellery.
- Byzantine coinage @wikipedia
- new times coins
- The ancient word ΔPAXMH (=drachma) was revived as the currency of the new greek state, after the ottoman occupation.
- Greek drachma (before the euro) @wikipedia
- In 2002, the euro arrived in greece. Note especially the 1 euro coin, and the 2 euro coin (with Europe herself depicted on it!).
- Euro coins of greece @wikipedia
Athens, 4 drachma coin
post 449 a.e.v.
Constantinos VII and Romanos I
920-44 byzantine coin
1 euro, greek
- GREEK DANCE
- Dance general links
- ancient greek dance
- In ancient times dancing was closely related to every musical activity. Muse for dancing was Terpsichore.
- Images of dancing are depicted on many vases.
- new times folk dance
- Music and dance interrelated. (see FOLK POETRY and FOLK MUSIC)
- Lyceum of greek women: fold dance company [[addendum]]
- Greek folk dances (a list) @wikipedia
- Dora Stratou @wikipedia Her folk dance company still operates.
- NEW TIMES GREEK DANCE
- State School of Dance, in Athens GREECE
- There is no ballet tradition in Greece (there are very few ballet-dancers). The State School focuses on contemporary dance.
- The building: home of Koula Pratsika at www.culture2000.tee.gr
- contemporary choreographers
- She was not greek, but she appears to me as a grecian modern Terpsichore:
- Isadora Duncan @wikipedia
- During the turn of the century, many choreographers presented interesting work:
- Koula PRATSIKA gre:Koύλα Πράτσικα [`kula `pratsika] was the 'mother' of modern dance in greece and 'aunt Koula' to everyone. She was the teacher of a whole generation of greek teachers of Eurhythmics.
- Koula Pratsika by the State School of Dance, GREECE
- Photos: with Maria Horss (the choreographer of Olympic rituals) at gxatzi2b.googlepages.com/horrsphotos
- Her home is today, the National School of Dance at www.culture2000.tee.gr
- Zouzou NIKOLOUDI 1917-2004 or Zuzu Nicoludi gre:Zoυζoύ Nικoλoύδη [zu`zu niko`luδi] became a well-known choreographer quite late in her life (after having her children). She was destined to choreograph unsurpassed Drama-Chorus parts.
- Haris MANTAFOUNIS or Harris Mantafounis or Mandafounis gre:Xάρης Mανταφoύνης [`xaris manda`funis]
- Demetris PAPAIOANNOY gre:Δημήτρης Παραϊωάννoυ [δi`mitris papaio`anu] the choreographer of the ceremonies at Olympics 2004.
- Dimitris Papaioannou @wikipedia
attic red figure vase ca. 460 a.e.v.
n.909, at Villa Giulia, Rome
photographer: Nelly's 1899-1998
Zouzou Nikoloudi 1917-2004
- GREEK FASHION
- Fashion general links
- greek dress @wikipedia
- Hellenic costumes of all centuries by FHW The site is in greek, but you will see the images.
- ancient greek fashion
- clothing in ancient Greece @wikipedia
- byzantine middle times fashion
- byzantine dress @wikipedia
- personal page by Black Tauna about byzantine clothes she likes (check bibliography)
- new times greek fashion
- Folklore costumes.
- greek dress #modern @wikipedia
- GREEK JEWELLERY
- Jewellery general links
- All art sections of history-sites include some jewelry. The byzantine jewels are very nice.
- new times jewellers
- Bulgari firm was establish in Italy, not Greece, in 1881 by the greek Sotirios Voulgaris.
- Ilias LALAOUNIS (1920-) gre:Hλίας Λαλαoύνης [i`lias lala`unis]
- 'MAROULINA' [maru`lina] was Sophia Thanopoulou (1908-1997), an absolute genius who worked with beads, seashells and ropes. She had a shop during the 60sat Myconos island and now you can find her art only in auctions.
- Photos of her work
- Book from the exhibition at /A>Benaki Museum (benaki publications, in greek)
- ZOLOTAS, Efthimios [zo`lotas]
- www.zolotasjewelry.com/ The shop still exists
- GREEK LITERATURE... (poetry and prose, drama)
- GREEK MUSIC...
minoan jewel, gold
Heraklion Museum, Crete
earrings from Sifnos island
Athens Benaki Museum
inv. no. 7670
- GREEK PAINTING
- Images and portals at art general links
- ancient greek painting
- Mostly lost. Main items are murals and vase painting.
- Thera and Knossos murals.
- Vergina tombs murals.
- Hellenistic, roman Fayoum portraits (Aegypt).
- Famous ancient greek painters
- Artcyclopedia: List of greek artists till Middle Times (mainly ancient)
- byzantine middle times painting
- This is iconography (religious icons). See BYZANTINE PERIOD for exhibitions and links.
- Byzantine Painting by ILSP GREECE in greek
- A Guide to Byzantine Icons on the Internet (Welcome Page)
- Le Monde des Icones Articles in french - in greek
- new times greek painting
- Arts plastiques in french with photos very well chosen.
- 1897-1922 painting by FHW
- INTERWAR painting FHW
- INTERWAR gallery of representative works by FHW
- ART TOPOS: alphabetical list of artists
- National Art Gallery of Athens See COLLECTIONS for timeline of styles - images.
- ART PERIODICALS
- 'Zygos' art magainze (1955-2006), by the gallery 'Galerie Zygos'. (Copies exist in libraries)
Practically all greek artists presented.
googleSearch: περιοδικό τέχνης Ζυγός
- Athens Fine Arts School
- greek painters of new times
- Ancient greek painter of pottery: [[addendum]]
- Domenico THEOTOCOPOULOS (1541-1614) gre:Δoμήνικoς Θεoτoκόπoυλoς [δo`minikos θeoto`kopulos]
- el Greco (the greek)
- Theophilos HADJIMICHAEL (1873-1934) gre:Θεόφιλoς Xατζημιχαήλ [θe'ofilos xadzimixa'il] Folk naïf painter
- Nikephoros LYTRAS (1832-1904) gre:Nικηφόρoς Λύτρας [nici`foros `litras]
- Nikolaos GYZIS (1842-1901) gre:Nικόλαoς Γύζης [ni`kolaos `jizis]
- helios.gr modern painters
- Yiorgos BOUZIANIS (1885-1959) gre:Γιώργoς Mπoυζιάνης [`jiorγos bu`zjianis]
- Bouzianis @eikastikon.gr
- Parhtenis Maleas and Bouzianis by FHW
- about Parthenis and Maleas by FHW
- Theodoros VRYZAKIS (1814-1878) gre: Θεόδωρoς Bρυζάκης [θe`oδoros vri`zakis ]
- VRYZAKIS: 100 years form his death: Article by P. Katerina Spetsieri-Beschi in greek
- Yiannis TSAROUHIS (1910-1989) gre:Γιάννης Tσαρoύχης [`jianis tsa`ruçis]
- Tsarouhis @wikipedia
- Yannis Tsarouchis at EPDLP, SPAIN
- Nikos EGGONOPOULOS (1907-1985) poet and painter
- Nikos Engonopoulos in english and greek
- Eggonopoulos @wikipedia
- Yiannis MORALIS (1916-2009) gre:Γιάννης Mόραλης [ `jianis `moralis]
- Yiannis Moralis wikipedia
- Moralis works by www.eikastikon.gr
- Panayiotis TETSIS (1925-2016) gre:Παναγιώτης Tέτσης [pana`jiotis `tetsis]
- He gave his marvellous 'market place', as a gift to the national gallery of Athens.
- Tetsis @wikipedia
- Manolis POLYMERIS gre:Mανόλης Πoλυμέρης [ma`nolis poli`meris]
- Πολυμέρης by www.eikastikon.gr
- sketch artists - cartoonists
- ARKAS [ar`kas] Humourist. One needs to understand greek.
- The Sketches by Arkas at www.arkas.gr
- Other interesting humourists: Dimitris Mitropoulos, Bost, Kyr.
detail from Anastasis (resurrection) mosaic (~1315-21)
Chora church (or Kariye), Istanbul
The Sortie (exodus) of Messolongi
by Theodoros Vryzakis 1814-1878
Athens National Gallery
Yiannis Tsarouhis (1910-1989)
construction: painted wood by
Yiannis Gaitis (1923-1984)
- PERFORMANCE ARTS: GREEK THEATRE
- Performance art general links
- ANCIENT GREEK THEATRE (DRAMA) (and contemporary performance of ancient drama)
- greek stage actors @wikipedia
- Culture grecque in french: about THEATRE
- Culture grecque in french: about CINEMA
- Well known greek actors and directors by Markos
- Greek Film Centre
- directors of theatre
- In the post-war era there were two distinct 'schools': this of Koun and that of the National Theatre and its director, Rontiris. Their 'duel' produced memorable performances.
- Karolos KOUN (1908-1987) gre:Kάρoλoς Koυν [`karolos kun] (the names are not greek, but he was greek)
- Carolos Coun @wikipedia
- Demetris RONTIRIS
- See video of his work (as with actress Aspasia PAPATHANASSIOY at ANCIENT GREEK THEATRE (DRAMA)
- Dimitris Rondiris @wikipedia
- NOTE: No film can come close to the live appearance and the theatrical presence of these actors. Especially for the following three grandes dames:
- Katina PAKSINOU (1900-1973) gre:Kατίνα Παξινoύ [ka`tina paksi`nu] She can still be viewed in some films she made, but they convey nothing of what she was on stage.
- data @nndb.com
- Paxinou @wikipedia
- INTERWAR cultural life and Paksinou by FHW
- film work: Katina Paxinou at IMDb
- Marika KOTOPOULI gre:Mαρίκα Koτoπoύλη [ma`rika koto`puli] She is not on film. Her technique was legendary.
- Elly LAMBETI gre:Έλλη Λαμπέτη [`eli la`beti] or [lam`beti]
- Ellie Lambeti @wikipedia
- film work: Ellie Labeti at IMDb
- more actors
- Aemilios VEAKIS Αιμίλιος Βεάκης
- Aemilios Veakis at IMDb
- Alexis MINOTIS Αλέξης Μινωτής
- Alex Minotis at IMDb
- Manos KATRAKIS Μάνος Κατράκης
- Manos Katrakis at IMDb
- MELINA is Melina Mercouri - Μελίνα Μερκούρη
- she also became minister of culture, who fought for the return of the Parthenon marbles back to Greece.
- Melina Mercouri Foundation
- Melina Mercouri at IMDb
- Irini PAPPA Ειρήνη Παππά
- film work: Irene Papas
- film directors
- See films on Greece
- Thodoros AGGELOPOULOS Θόδωρος Αγγελόπουλος
- Theo Angelopoulos at IMDb
- Kostas GAVRAS
- Costas Gavras at IMDb
- Gavras at arcadia personalities in greek
- Yiannis KASSAVETIS (1929-1989) Γιάννης Κασσαβέτης
- John Cassavetes at at IMDb
- Mikhalis KAKOYIANNIS
- Michael Cacoyannis at IMDb
- Mikhalis Cacogiannis @wikipedia
- Pantelis VULGARIS Παντελής Βούλγαρης
- Pantelis Voulgaris at IMDb
- and of course, Jules Dassin the french american and a greek par excellence
- GREEK PHOTOGRAPHY
- Photography art general links
- greek photographers A presentation by www.fotoart.gr
- Photography museum at Thessalonice, GREECE
- Elly SERAÏDARI (1899-1998) Έλλη Σεραϊδάρη
- Voula PAPAIOANNOY Βούλα Παπαϊωάννου
- presentation @foroart.gr
- Takis TLOUPAS (1920-2003) Τάκης Τλούπας
- presentation @foroart.gr
Takis Tloupas (1920-2003)
- GREEK POTTERY and CERAMICISTS
- Pottery general links
- ancient greek vases
- Pottery in Archaeology links
- traditional pottery of modern times
- In the decades before 1960 is was really authentic. Now, it suffers from tourist-themes, and the loss of the innocent naïveté.
- Sifnos is the 'island of potters'. When I was 6 years old, I spent my summer in Sifnos, and I remember the amazing potter 'gero-Tourou' (= old Mr Tourou) who was 100 years old, working on his wheel.
- contemporary ceramicists
- Eleni VERNADAKI Ελένη Βερναδάκη
- Her shop (called ADC) was at Valaoritou str. in the centre of Athens
- Christina MORALI Χριστίνα Μόραλη
found at site: Dimini near Volos
Athens National Museum
- GREEK SCULPTURE
- Sculpture general links
- ancient greek sculpture
- See ANCIENT PERIOD SECTION
- National Archaeological Museum, Athens, GREECE
- Acropolis Museum, Athens, GREECE
- styles and statues
- Cycladic statuettes
- Kouri and korae (singular: kouros = boy and kore=maiden) (Archaic period)
- kouros and kore
- Charioteer of Delphi @wikipedia gre: HINIOXOΣ [i'nioxos]
- Phidias @wikipedia
- My favourite relief: at the temple of Athena Nike on the Acropolis: Nike Adjusting Her Sandal
- Polyklitos @wikipedia
- the wonderful ΔIAΔOYMENOΣ (Diadoumenos) by the sculptor Polyclitus.
- ΔIAΔOYMENOΣ (Diadoumenos) and Poseidon at the Athens Archaeological Museum
- Myron @wikipedia
- Praksitelis or Praxiteles @wikipedia
- Venus de Milo @wikipedia (Aphrodite from Melos island).
- Lysippos @wikipedia
- STATUE: BRONZE: Poseidon (or Zeus) of Artemission. ΠOΣEIΔΩN (Poseidon), god of the sea.
- Poseidon at the Athens Archaeological Museum and ΔIAΔOYMENOΣ (Diadoumenos)
- Nike of Samothrace @wikipedia Samothrace is the greek island where the statue was found.
- byzantine middle times sculputre
- There is no sculpture in byzantium, because orthodox christians thought it was very pagan.
- new times greek sculpture
- The National Gallery of Greece, has a special ground as a Glyptotheque (statue museum)
- 1923_1940 Sculptors at FHW
- Yiannoulis HALEPAS (1851-1938) gre:Γιαννoύλλης Xαλεπάς [jia`nulis xale`pas]
- photos of lots of his works at www.eikastikon.gr
- Χαλεπάς at greek wikipedia anglophones may see some images here.
- His masterpiece, at the 1st Cemetery of Athens, is the 'sleeping maiden'
Tomb of Sofia Afentaki at greek wikipedia
- Michalis TOMBROS Μιχάλης Τόμπρος [mi`xalis `tombros]
- cover of a book
- Thanasis Apartis 1899-1972 Θανάσης Απάρτης [θa`nasis a`partis]
- GREEK THEATRE
- GREEK ART PERIODS
- ANCIENT GREEK ART LINKS (all topics)
- links #aechaeology
- wikipedia: Art in ancient greece
- LINKS: ART HISTORY RESOURCES Part 4 Ancient Greece
- AncientGreece.com - history, mythology, art, culture, architecture, lots of links.
- Most of the links at my ANCIENT GREEK HISTORY have extensive art sections (especially all FHW sites). Also, check section: PLACES ANCIENT where greek civilization flourished.
- ANCIENT GREEK ARTISTS
- Artcyclopedia: List of greek artists till Middle Times (mainly ancient). Modern artists: not updated
- MUSEUMS with ancient greek art
- Acropolis museum and National Archaeological museum in Athens.
- British Museum London GB
- Louvre Museum Paris FRANCE
- ...and all the archaeological sections of museums around the world.
- BYZANTINE ART LINKS (all topics)
- www.ou.edu/class/ahi4263/ Early christian and byzantine art
- Most of the links at my BYZANTINE HISTORY have extensive art sections (especially the FHW sites). Also, check places of byzantine interest.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art - Special Exhibitions Byzantium Faith and Power (1261–1557)
- Byzantine Art by FHW GREECE: Early -
Middle - Late
Nike, and her sandal
of the island Samothrace
Aphrodite from the island of Melos
'Venus de Milo'
- NEW TIMES GREEK ART (all topics)
- GENERAL LINKS
- Art in modern greece @wikipedia
- FOLKLORE of GREECE
- INTERWAR folklore studies by FHW
- COSTUMES: check FASHION SECTION
- SHADOW THEATRE: Karagiozis (the greeks borrowed him from the ottoman times, and transformed him. For both greeks and turks he is the hero of the poor and suppressed)
- Spatharis (shadow-theatre artist) and his museum @www.karagiozismuseum.gr
Fisherman from Kea island
by Alekos Fasianos
For architects, painters, sculptors, actors, directors, etc. check the TOPIC SECTIONS.
links checked NOV 2007.